attached hoax

_._. corvid at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 29 10:00:50 EST 2000

At 1:32 AM -0500 11/29/00, Louis Florit wrote:

>Ladies and gentlemen, we certainly appreciate your warning, but its my
>feeling that this off coral-list topic should not be discussed on the
>email list.
>
>I would request that virus warnings, email hoaxes and other topics NOT be
>submitted to the list unless they are directly affecting the list users.
>We all recieve tons of spam email and should be netsavvy enough to not
>deal with things that are too good to be true, questionable in nature and
>so on.
>
>Louis Florit

Dear Louis:

	Thank you for your comments about off-topic postings to the coral
list.  Every day I receive enough SPAM to feed a small pack of hungry
carnivores, assuming that they are not very choosy about what they eat.
Golly, but I would have a nice life if only I had enough money to buy all
of the stocks touted, to take advantage of all of the investment
opportunities passed on, to enjoy all of the vacations, discounts on car
rentals, and so on. I have even been offered the opportunity of purchasing
a Ph.D. in the field of my choice. Mind you, this was a "private" offer,
not available to just any member of the public, and I did give it all the
consideration it deserved. In the final end, I realized that I could not at
this time afford to purchase another degree, so it was back to my Teaching
Assistantship, back to my laboratory, and back to the paper chase!

	Each of us is netsavvy to one degree or other...some of us are
lightyears more savvy than others. Ever sit at the computer, drinking Jolt
Cola and eating Cheese Doodles, and wonder what happened to the glory days
of the DARPA Net? To the days when it could take 24 or more hours to send
an email message to a colleague half a world away? To the days before the
public could access the net? The original warning, and the follow-up
messages, were posted to the list for precisely the reason that  someone
thought they did affect list members. To them I say "Thank You!" But I
would also suggest they check sites such as

http://www.urbanlegends.com

http://www.nonprofit.net/hoax/default.htm , and

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ before accepting some of this stuff on
face value.

	Oh...I almost forgot to mention that your post asking for fewer
off-topic postings to the list was  off topic. Education is a wonderful
thing! But the ListMOMs made necessary by moderated lists, and the
prior-restraint censorship they impose, aren't so wonderful.

Christopher J. Crow

"Now, I'm liberal, but to a degree
I want ev'rybody to be free
But if you think that I'll let Barry Goldwater
Move in next door and marry my daughter
You must think I'm crazy!
I wouldn't let him do it for all the farms in Cuba."

(Zimmerman, Robert. 1964. I Shall Be Free No. 10: Another Side of Bob
Dylan, Columbia Records, New York)