SOS for Blue Bay Marine Park/Mauritius

Manasa Sovaki biodiversity at suva.is.com.fj
Sun Oct 1 19:51:22 EDT 2000

Davis, it seem that the Ministry of the Environment of Mauritius in issuing
prohibition orer has an Environment legislation. Please check if Environment
Impact Assessment (EIA) is included in that legislation or existing in other
legislation. EIA report if available should identify such problem as likely
to appear and mitigation activities should be in place. But that is to the
extreme since the Approving Authority for that Project and Ministry of
Environment should have been monitoring progress of work. Issue of
prohibition notice only arises when monitoring strategy was not strictly
adhered to. The Ministry of Environment officials must be reminded that the
proponents of the project can also sue for loss of income on the ground that
they were not properly adviced or consulted so that such incidence should
not have taken plae in the first place.The developer or project proponent
can plead for innocense and according to legal mind is enough to sway and
Judge in a Crimina Court (if Mauritius does not have a special environment
court) to let the developer go free with a warning not to repeat such
offence. By the way, another way out is just to discuss with the proponent
to pay for the clean up in order to avoid bad publicity worldwide and for
the Ministry of Environment to work together with Approving Authority and
developer in providing EIA reort if it was not done, or if available to
adhered to monitoring programmes, and follow agreed mitigation measurs if
and when needed.

Best regards

Manasa Sovaki
Principal Environment Officer