coral chemical analysis?

Katherine Atack kate_atack at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 00:59:09 EDT 2000

Hi,

I'm hoping for some advice on coral chemical analysis.
My name is Katherine Atack.  I'm currently doing my
MSc. Res. in Malaysia.  I am trying to find out if
cyanide is stored in coral tissue, and if so how much
and how long it remains. I have been in the field for
the last 6 months adding known quantities of cyanide
to small coral nubbins. I am writing to ask if you
know of a fast and safe method for freeing cyanide
from the coral tissue in preparation for cyanide
concentration analysis.  For actual cyanide
measurement I am planning to use the
Pyridine-pyrazolone method although the Prussian blue
iron-cyanide complex has also been recommended. Both
of which use a highly sensitive colorimeter method. I
will have roughly 3000 nubbins to analyze.

Any references or ideas for method of cyanide
extraction and analysis would be extremely helpful.

Thank you for your time

Yours sincerely
Katherine Atack.

IBEC