Wallace's Line

Jan Henning Steffen jsteffen at cbn.net.id
Mon Oct 9 02:11:18 EDT 2000

Dear Jeremy,

Unfortunately I will not be able to join your trip from Bali to Lombok, but
I can recommend at least a few books on the issue, which are locally
available:

Field Guide to the Birds of Java and Bali
by John McKinnon
Published by Gadjah Mada Univ. Press in Yogyakarta
383 pp

Another good field guide on the Indonesian Avifauna has apparently been
published in Great Britain about three or four years ago, but I never
managed to get hold of it.

Two excellent volumes of the "Ecology of Indonesia" series will also be of
particular Interest in this respect:

The Ecology of Java and Bali (Vol.2)
T. Whitten, R.E.Soeriaatmadja, S.F.Afiff
1996
Periplus Editions HK Ltd
970 pp

The Ecology of Nusa Tenggara and Maluku
K. Monk, Y. de Fretes, Gayatri R. Lilley
1997
Periplus Editions HK Ltd
966 pp

The better book shops in Denpasar should have them in stock,

sampai jumpa (see you soon) in Bali,

Jan

Jan

Jan H. Steffen
Marine Program Advisor
KEHATI - THE INDONESIAN BIODIVERSITY FOUNDATION
Patra Jasa Building, 2nd Floor, Room II E1
Jl. Jend. Gatot Subroto Kav.32-34
Jakarta 12950
Indonesia

Tel.     +62 (21) 522 8031