Notification: death of J.C. (Koos) den Hartog

Hoeksema, B.W. Hoeksema at naturalis.nnm.nl
Wed Oct 11 06:12:33 EDT 2000

Dear Colleagues,

It is with sadness that I have to inform you that our friend and colleague
J.C. den Hartog (born April 17, 1942), informally known as Koos, passed away
Saturday, October 7th, due to cancer.

Koos was curator of Coelenterates at the National Museum of Natural History
at Leiden, The Netherlands.
Koos was a great naturalist, with interests in cnidarians, birds, turtles,
and many other organisms.
He did not particularly like large meetings but several of you will remember
him as editor of the Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on
Coelenterate Biology, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands, 1995, and several
other volumes.
The last 15 years of his professional life were mostly dedicated to
Indo-Pacific (especially Indonesian) sea anemones, corallimorpharians, and
their symbionts.

The cremation will take place at Leiden on Thursday, October 12.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Bert W. Hoeksema
Head, Department of Invertebrates
Coordinator Marine Research
National Museum of Natural History Naturalis
P.O. Box 9517
2300 RA  Leiden
The Netherlands
Tel. +31.71.5687631