(Fwd) Tourism and coral reefs

Dricot-Fellenius karlf at sfu.ca
Fri Oct 13 06:48:36 EDT 2000

> I am looking for articles/publications highlighting tourism impacts on
> coral reefs.

Here are some websites (diving emphasis -pos. & neg. effects)that might
be useful:

http://www.artificialreef.bc.ca/
http://www.projectaware.org/
http://www.ucbc.bc.ca
http://www.oceansblue.com
http://www.rem.sfu.ca/tourism/index.htm
http://www.oceansblue.com
http://www.prit.bc.ca/
http://www.seagrant.orst.edu/cmt/cmt99.html
http://www.ecotourism.org.au/conf/
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/9icrs/
http://www2.planeta.com/mader/ecotravel/north/conference.html
http://coralreef.gov/
http://www.cousteau.org/
http://europa.eu.int/comm/environment/iczm/biblio.htm#ctech
http://www.ovi.ca
http://www.reefball.org/
http://www.reef.org/
http://www.scubacollege.com/MRM/mrm_intro.html
http://www.acfonline.org.au/policies/57tourism.htm
http://www.cha-cast.com/
http://www.indiana.edu/~scuba
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0415139384/qid%3D928258845/sr%3D1-1/002-2722393-9204646
http://seagrant.orst.edu/crt/index.html
http://www.ust.hk/~webrc/reefcheck/reef.html

Some articles:

Davis, D., and C. Tisdell.  1995.  Recreational scuba-diving and
carrying capacity in marine protected areas.  Ocean and Coastal
Management 26(1):19-40.

Davis, D., and C. Tisdell.  1996.  Economic Management of Recreational
Scuba Diving and the Environment.  Journal of Environmental Management
48:229-248.

Dixon, J. A., L. F. Scura, and T. van’t Hof.  1993.  Meeting Ecological
and Economic Goals:  Marine Parks in the Caribbean.  Ambio
22(2-3):117-125.

Dixon, J. A.  1993.  Economic Benefits of Marine Protected Areas.
Oceanus fall:35-40.

Hawkins, J. P., and C. M. Roberts.  1992.  Effects of recreational SCUBA
diving on fore-reef slope communities of coral reefs.  Biological
Conservation 62:171-178.

Hawkins, J. P., and C. M. Roberts.  1993.  Effects of recreational scuba
diving on coral reefs:  trampling on reef-flat communities.  Journal of
Applied Ecology 30:25-30.

Kenchington, R.  1993.  Tourism in Coastal and Marine Environments - A
Recreational Perspective.  Ocean and Coastal Management 19:1-16.

WWF International had a report from 1992 "Coral Reefs -Valuable but
Vulnerable" ISBN 2-88085-098-3
by S.M. Wells and A.R.G. Price with a one pager on tourism impacts that
included a number of references from earlier work.

Prior, M. et al. 1995. The Impact on Natural Resources of Activity
Tourism: A Case Study of Diving in Egypt. Journ. of Environmental
Studies, 48, 201-209.

> I am in particular interested in detailed descriptions of the
> impacts of the various segments of the tourism industry (with
> numbers!). ... any ideas?

http://www.epa.gov/sustainableindustry/travtour.htm
http://www.epa.gov/ispd/

Good luck with your work. I am interested if you could let me know what
additional sources you find.

regards,

Karl Fellenius

--
Karl Fellenius, Masters Candidate
School of Resource & Environmental Management

Graduate Academic Assistant
Analyzing Trade-offs Between Land-Based Tourism and Forestry

Graduate Academic Assistant
Toward Tourism Modeling in the Coastal Zone
Georgia Basin Futures Project, http://www.sdri.ubc.ca/gbfp/