Philippines and the aquarium trade...

James C. Frank jcfrank at vm.sc.edu
Thu Sep 7 03:06:38 EDT 2000

Dear all-
I'm writing because I need to establish contacts with NGOs and institutions for an integrated research project regarding the effects of the aquarium industry on natural ecosystems, and possibly involving some aspects of the localized socioeconomics of this issue.  Any direct responses or contacting tips would be greatly appreciated.  I can be reached directly via email: jcfrank at sc.edu

In formulating a research topic, I came up with some questions:
*What is presently being done in the Philippines to enhance collection practices for the benefit of the environment and the marine ornamental collectors?
*What organizations and/or individuals are involved in the implimentation and development of better techniques?
*What other countries presently supply the hobby?
*Where does the Philippines rank in export mass among marine ornamental suppliers?  ...Or are these numbers even counted by anyone?

Thank you for any help that can be offered.
-James C. Frank, The University of South Carolina Marine Science Program

                     James C. Frank
                     Marine Science Major - The University of South Carolina
                     Aquarist - Riverbanks Zoo, Columbia, SC
                     Aquarist Intern - National Aquarium In Baltimore
                     http://mudflat.geol.sc.edu/~jcfrank
                     Jcfrank at sc.edu
                     (803)544-1157