Coral color for aquarium specimens

BobFenner at aol.com BobFenner at aol.com
Fri Sep 8 10:54:27 EDT 2000

S96007966 at student.usp.ac.fj writes:

<< Subj:     Coral color for aquarium specimens
 Date:  9/8/00 4:59:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  S96007966 at student.usp.ac.fj (Ron Devine Vave)
 To:    bobfenner at aol.com

 Hello Bob!

 I am a Postgraduate student in Marine science at the University of
 the South Pacific, in Fiji; wanting to undertake a Masters (MSc) by
 research next year (2001) and look into the colour and growth
 forms of corals for the aquarium and curio (ornamental) trade.

 Could you help me with the research methodology for this; maybe
 in the form of:

 [a] what factors to look at?
 [b] past research work in the same field?
 [c] people(s) who I could contact
 [d] how can color be maintained for aquarium corals?

 Thanking you in advance.

 Best regards from Fiji,

 Ron Devine Vave, Marine Studies Program, University of the South Pacific,
Suva, Fiji Islands.

<Will endeavor to help you in what ways I can... Don't know much or
references to send you to re the above though.
a) By "factors" do you mean for identification to species? I would chat with
Ed Lovell in Fiji re this matter, perhaps Doug Fenner, J.E.N. Veron in
Australia re. Will cc some of these folks.
b) Don't know of any research done on the topic (retention of color of
captive scleractinia, alcyonacea... But very worthwhile topic... as this is
likely (other than gross mortality/survivability, THE major factor in rates
of extraction/use of wild stocks. A computer search of BIOSIS should yield
what can be had in the way of a bibliography, leads to who has done what in
the field.
c) There are many "hobby" and business culturists that you might avail
yourself of, for some basic husbandry notes... Dick Perrin of Tropicoricum,
Noel Curry... But much of what they know they'll consider proprietary. Will
send your msg. to Walt Smith (yes, principally of Fiji) for further input.
d) Continuous high PAR lighting, adequate biomineral and alkalinity, infused
carbon dioxide helps, as well as a myriad of "improved water quality" factors
like circulation, protein skimming... and often addition of iodine
supplements, some feeding (species specific)... Without the lighting, or a
failure in "water quality" corals will lose (sometimes permanently) their
coloration, greatly lessening their market value.
Bob Fenner>