Deep skeletal refugia for zoox

Andrew Baker abaker at wcs.org
Mon Sep 18 12:27:29 EDT 2000

Hi Bob

Just a quickie to follow up on your questions. I hope it is still
appropriate to keep this discussion on the public list.

Yes, there is certainly scope for the idea that internal microhabitats
might provide refugia for zoox taxa that are outcompeted at the surface
under normal environmental conditions. Rob (Rowan) had some ideas related
to this (when I first met him back in 1995) - specifically, that the outer
tips of polyps might contain "sun-loving" zoox, while the deeper tissue
between polyps might contain "shade tolerant" zoox - but the idea could be
extended (literally!) into the skeleton itself, which I agree would be a
very interesting project. As far as I know, no-one has studied this kind of
small scale "zonation", and/or its relation to the Phoenix effect. It would
be technically challenging - either by careful extraction from
tissue/skeleton preparations (probably a somewhat haphazard approach), or
by some kind of in situ hybridization protocol (a much better way of
demonstrating spatial differentiation, and what Rob had intended to do back
in 95). I'd love to hear from anyone who has attempted this.

I've done some survey work looking at undersides of colonies (e.g. flipping
over fungiids to find out what they have there), but never any deep
skeleton stuff. I didn't find any striking differences (by that I mean
weird or unusual zoox), but I did occasionally find "low light" zoox taxa
similar to the story from Rowan et al 1997 in Nature. My guess is a drill
press with a masonry grinder bit to produce a homogenate of tissue and
skeleton might be the way to go (!a trip to the hardware store!), or
sectioning followed by in situ hybridization. I'd ask Rob if he's ever
attempted this, although I don't think he has.

All of the protocols I'm aware of that people are using now for zoox
extraction and ID would miss these refugia.

Yes, there are a couple of places I would like to study zoox repopulation
following bleaching. My main project with regards to this (with Peter
Glynn) is looking at zoox repopulation in communities of reef corals in
Panama and the Galapagos. These communities showed quite high incidences of
bleaching, but not as much mortality as we might have expected (contact
Peter for more details). I have tagged colonies in both areas that we can
re-sample to see how zoox communities changed. These tagged colonies
include some colonies that were extremely bleached and other adjacent
colonies (of the same species) which appeared entirely unaffected (and -
yes - its because they appear to have contained different zoox). But we
don't know yet how many of the tagged colonies survived, or what zoox they
have now if they did. We'll find out in the spring, although (with the
intervening time period) interpretation might be difficult (but it usually
is anyway...!)

Finally - yes, you're right about collaborations between aquarists and
researchers. The project you referred to by LeRoy Headlee is actually a
collaboration he and I have to look at how zoox taxa change in the aquarium
environment (small world, huh?). LeRoy has some interesting ideas on how to
encourage rapid switching of symbionts in "captivity", and we are going to
investigate them to see if they work. The research was funded by the
American Zoo and Aquarium Association, with some matching support from GARF
(LeRoy). You're right, I think it could be very interesting stuff. I will
keep you posted, and hopefully tell you more in Bali.

Andrew