information on sustainable financing of coral reefs

jspurgeo at gibb.co.uk jspurgeo at gibb.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 15:25:25 EDT 2000

Dear Coral Listers

I am currently undertaking a small research study part funded by the UK Dept
for International Development on the use of a "Total Economic Value"
approach to maximise opportunities for sustainable financing of coral reef
conservation.  The plan is to produce a paper and present a summary of the
study in Bali (late Oct 2000).  It will be a bit of a review, with a few
case studies and give some great ideas (hopefully!) for people to tap into
additional sources of funds.

I have three requests:

1) I have collated a number of useful references on sustainable financing of
coral reefs, but would appreciate being made aware of any good
references/papers/reports etc you have come across/written - particularly
recent, obscure or unpublished ones.

2) Any recent information or views on the role of corals in carbon
sequestration would be extremely useful.

3) I will be sending out brief email questionnaire surveys to selected
individuals involved in managing coral reefs and/or with responsibilities
for securing finances for them.  If anyone feels that they could usefully
contribute and would like to receive a questionnaire, please let me know.
(Alternatively, simply write to me with your views/ideas).

Please feel free to contact me direct.
(If wanted I'll post a summary of responses?)

Many thanks for your help
James Spurgeon

Principal Environmental Economist/Scientist
Gibb Ltd
London Rd
Reading
England
RG6 1BL

Tel:     44 (0)118 9635000
Fax:   44 (0)118 9263888
Email: jspurgeo at gibb.co.uk

This e-mail does not give rise to any binding legal obligation upon
GIBB Ltd or any affiliate unless such company subsequently confirms
the contents in writing, non-electronically. This e-mail may
be confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.
Unauthorised disclosure or copying of any or all of it may be
unlawful. If you receive this e-mail in error please contact the
sender and delete the message. http://www.gibbltd.com