No subject

silvia pinca silvinha at c4.com
Tue Apr 3 01:49:26 EDT 2001

Dear listers

I would like to get some information on volunteer or
compensated position in marine conservation activities
during the summer months (May through August). I am a
Marine Science instructor at the College of the Marshall
Islands and I have a PhD in Marine Environmental Sciences.
I am strongly interested in field work for conservation
purposes and in education and outreach of local people in
developing countries.  I have a dive master certification
and experience with underwater surveys for conservation
purposes.
I would be really grateful if you could give me
information on such issues.
Thank you all very much in advance, and have a nice week!!

Sincerely,

Silvia Pinca
Marine Science Program
College of the Marshall Islands
Majuro, MH.96960
ph. 692-625-5903
e-mail: silvinha at c4.com

here's the resume:

SILVIA PINCA

Marine Science Program
College of the Marshall Islands
Majuro, MH. 96960
Silvinha at c4.com
Phone: 692-625-5903

Born in Genoa, Italy, on February 24, 1967
Citizenship:  Italian

marine biology, coral reef ecology, biodiversity,
sustainable development, education, outreach

EDUCATION
1994 	PhD Marine Environmental Sciences, University of
Genoa, Italy.

2001 MSc in Natural Sciences, University of Genoa, Italy.
Best mention.

RESEARCH POSITIONS HELD
1999-2000 Research assistant at Department of Ecology and
Evolution, University of Chicago.

1995-1997 Research assistant at the Marine Biology
Research Division, Scripps Institution of Oceanography,
University of California San Diego.

1995 Research assistant at Station Zoologique, University
Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris VI.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES
2001 Marine Science Instructor, College of the Marshall
Islands. Courses taught: "Introduction to Marine Biology",
and "Tropical Reef Ecosystems of the Pacific".

2000	Science Officer: marine science coordinator,
instructor and surveyor for Coral Reefs Conservation
project.

1999	Environmental Education coordinator in coral reefs
ecosystems, Maldives atolls.

1997	Marine Biology tutor for a summer course of
Biological Oceanography at the University of Southern
California:

1995	Environmental education coordinator in coral reefs
ecosystems, Maldives atolls.

1990-1994	Participation as science observer to research
projects for the European Union on red shrimp and
swordfish fishing, and oil spills accidents.

SCHOLARSHIPS
1995-1997	Two years scholarship from the University of
Genoa for Specialization abroad

2000 Scholarship from European Union for the "Advanced
Study Course in Marine Science and Technology".

1994 	Scholarship form the European Community for Science
Activity Abroad

1991-1994	Scholarship from the University of Genoa for the
Research Doctorate (Ph.D.)

OCEANOGRAPHIC MISSIONS
2001 Oceanographic cruise J-GOFS in the Ross Sea,
Antarctica
1996	Oceanographic cruises in the Pacific Ocean: Hawaiíi
1988-89 Oceanographic cruises for the University of Genova

SPECIALIZATION COURSES
1996	Numerical Analysis in Marine Ecology, University of
Paris VI.

1992	Numerical Analysis of data and signals in Marine
Ecology, University of Paris VI.

1989 	Oceanology Course, University of Trieste.

TECHNICAL PROFICIENCY
* Zooplankton and Sampling techniques with nets (Isaac
Kidd Midwater Trawl, Bongo, WPII, Mocness); monitoring
techniques with electronic instruments (sonar,
fish-finders)
* Deployment of electronic instruments: Optical Plankton
Counter, GPS, spectrophotometer, fluorometer.
* Chemical analysis: nitrogen, phosphorus, chlorophyll in
water.
* Data analysis and statistics: univariate and
multivariate analysis.
* Computer use: word processors and spreadsheets; data
base; data analysis softwares; graphic softwares for
presentations; internet and e-mail.
* Boat maneuvering.
* Scuba dive security and equipment care.

PUBLICATIONS
Pinca S., Zhou M., Zhu Y., Huntley M., "Spatial
distribution and size frequency of zooplankton in the
California Current System in late summer observed by
Optical Plankton Counter" submitted to Journal of Marine
Research

2000	Pinca S. "Spatial organization of plankton size
composition in an eddy-jet system, obtained through
contiguity-constrained analysis", Deep-Sea Research I, 47,
973-996

1997	Pinca S., Dallot S. "Zooplankton community structure
in the Western Mediterranean sea related to mesoscale
hydrodynamics", Hydrobiologia, 356, 127-142.

1995 	Pinca S., Dallot S. ìMeso- and macrozooplankton
composition patterns related to hydrodynamic structures in
the Ligurian Sea (Trophos 2 experiment, April-June 1986),
Marine Ecology Progress Series,126, 49-65.

1993	DiNatale A.,  Labanchi L., Mangano A., Maurizi A.,
Montaldo L., Montebello O., Navarra E., Pederzoli A.,
Pinca S., Placenti V., Schimmenti G.,  Sieni E., Torchia
G., Valastro M. "Pelagic drifting tools used for the
fishing of the adult swordfish (Xiphias gladius, L.):
compared evaluation of functionality, capture capability,
global impact and economy of systems and re-conversion",
Reserved report to the Minister of the Navy.

LANGUAGES
Italian: 	native language
French: 	perfect knowledge of written and spoken language
English: 	perfect knowledge of written and spoken language
Spanish: 	good knowledge of spoken language; perfect
reading of written language

AFFILIATIONS AND CERTIFICATES
2000		Scuba dive certification Dive Master PADI
1999		Member of Nature Conservan