Bleaching - not just corals? A look at the northern seaweeds..

Debbie MacKenzie debimack at auracom.com
Thu Aug 2 13:50:56 EDT 2001

Dear coral-list,

Nowhere near a coral reef, yet I see parallels to the coral bleaching
problem in the changes in intertidal organisms in Nova Scotia, Atlantic
Canada. Loss of pigmentation and stunted growth in macroalgae, plus the
decline of small sessile filter feeders such as barnacles and mussels (and
their overgrowth by "algae")...seem to reflect the development of an
increasing nitrogen deficiency in open ocean seawater. I would appreciate
any feedback on this, here's an article that I just posted describing these
disturbing trends (full of pictures, the page may take a while to load, but
that's the only way to accurately tell a story like this one.)
http://www.fisherycrisis.com/seaweed.html

Thanks,
Debbie MacKenzie