Bermuda Bleaching?

Jo Pitt jopitt at sargasso.bbsr.edu
Fri Aug 24 15:58:06 EDT 2001

>Hello Bermuda....our Bleaching Indices Page:
>
>http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/dhw_news.html
>
>shows Bermuda has reached critical SST levels during the past weekend
>and bleaching is expected from excessive thermal stress....feedback
>appreciated.  With the solar zenith lowering each day these conditions
>should ease soon.

Hello Alan and other listers

The Benthic Ecology lab at BBSR has been out over the past week doing a
variety of surveys on inshore, nearshore, mid-platform and platform edge
reefs.  We did keep an eye out for any signs of bleaching, and I am happy
to report that none were observed.  The week's weather has been fairly poor
(cloudy / windy / rainy at intervals in the way that only Bermuda weather
can) since that very hot and sunny weekend, and this may have helped
dissipate any overly warm surface waters.

Jo

Joanna Pitt, Ph.D.
Benthic Ecology Lab
Bermuda Biological Station for Research