Proteins from carbonates?

Nicholas Polunin N.Polunin at newcastle.ac.uk
Mon Dec 3 11:15:56 EST 2001

Dear members

A PhD student and I are trying to extract small amounts  (ie <1% total dry weight) of all
N-containing materials particularly protein from fish otoliths and teeth. The thought
occurred that some of you might have done this from coral materials.

We are currently considering acidifying the material to remove carbonate, but not only is the
amount of acid needed quite large, a product is calcium chloride which takes up water and therefore
means we cannot accurately weigh the deposit.

Suggestions for practical ways out of this impasse will be much appreciated!

Nick
Dr Nicholas Polunin
Reader
Dept of Marine Sciences
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
Tel +44 (0)191 222 6675/6661
Fax +44 (0)191 222 7891
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mscmweb/
5th ICEF (2003) Environmental future of aquatic ecosystems
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/icef