PDF, coral geochemistry

Mike Risk riskmj at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Fri Dec 7 08:13:47 EST 2001

Post-Doctoral Fellowship: Climate Change from Deep-Water Corals

We seek someone to help with our work deciphering climate signals and records of global change from skeletons of deep-water corals off the east coast of North America. This person will be an integral part of an interdisciplinary group of three universities and several government departments: McMaster, Univ. of Quebec at Montreal, Dalhousie; Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Environment Canada.

"Deep-water" corals in fact occur at all depths and in all oceans. We have recently shown that they have yearly and lunar/tidal growth bands, so the records in their skeletons are both more widespread and more closely constrained stratigraphically than any other records now available. The team so far consists of ocean modelers, micropaleontologists, marine biologists, fisheries biologists and sedimentologists: we seek someone who can assist with the geochemical work.

Samples from the Northeast Channel and the Scotia Shelf are already in hand. We plan a ROPOS (deep unmanned submersible) cruise next summer, which will concentrate on the North Atlantic Oscillation and the history of the Gulf Stream. Results will be immediately integrated into global climate models.

The ideal candidate should have the PhD in hand, or expected very soon. It would desirable to have experience in some or all of: coral sclerochronology, stable isotope geothermometry, Sr/Ca analyses, trace element analysis, microscopy, probe work. The successful candidate will work closely with climate modelers at the Bedford Institute, micropaleontologists and fisheries people at Dalhousie, geochemists at GEOTOP in Montreal and the coral/isotope group at McMaster. Funding is provided for regular visits to each of the three centers of research-the place of residence of the candidate will be determined after consultation, but could be in any one of Hamilton, Montreal or Halifax.

Duration of the appointment will be for one year initially, but may be extended for several years on mutual agreement (to a maximum of four years). Salary will be competitive, in the range of $30,000 per year. Candidates should send resumes and names of at least three references to:

M. J. Risk, School of Geography and Geology, McMaster Univ.

Hamilton, ON

Canada L8S 4M1

riskmj at mcmaster.ca

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C17EF7.18591E00

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><B>
<P align=center>Post-Doctoral Fellowship: Climate Change from Deep-Water
Corals</P></B>
<P align=justify></P>
<P>We seek someone to help with our work deciphering climate signals and records
of global change from skeletons of deep-water corals off the east coast of North
America. This person will be an integral part of an interdisciplinary group of
three universities and several government departments: McMaster, Univ. of Quebec
at Montreal, Dalhousie; Department of Fisheries and Oceans, Environment
Canada.</P>
<P>"Deep-water" corals in fact occur at all depths and in all oceans. We have
recently shown that they have yearly and lunar/tidal growth bands, so the
records in their skeletons are both more widespread and more closely constrained
stratigraphically than any other records now available. The team so far consists
of ocean modelers, micropaleontologists, marine biologists, fisheries biologists
and sedimentologists: we seek someone who can assist with the geochemical
work.</P>
<P>Samples from the Northeast Channel and the Scotia Shelf are already in hand.
We plan a ROPOS (deep unmanned submersible) cruise next summer, which will
concentrate on the North Atlantic Oscillation and the history of the Gulf
Stream. Results will be immediately integrated into global climate models.</P>
<P>The ideal candidate should have the PhD in hand, or expected very soon. It
would desirable to have experience in some or all of: coral sclerochronology,
stable isotope geothermometry, Sr/Ca analyses, trace element analysis,
microscopy, probe work. The successful candidate will work closely with climate
modelers at the Bedford Institute, micropaleontologists and fisheries people at
Dalhousie, geochemists at GEOTOP in Montreal and the coral/isotope group at
McMaster. Funding is provided for regular visits to each of the three centers of
research-the place of residence of the candidate will be determined after
consultation, but could be in any one of Hamilton, Montreal or Halifax.</P>
<P>Duration of the appointment will be for one year initially, but may be
extended for several years on mutual agreement (to a maximum of four years).
Salary will be competitive, in the range of $30,000 per year. Candidates should
send resumes and names of at least three references to:</P>
<P>M. J. Risk, School of Geography and Geology, McMaster Univ. </P>
<P>Hamilton, ON </P>
<P>Canada L8S 4M1</P>
<P>riskmj at mcmaster.ca</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>