Madang Lagoon Project. WWF-Pacific Ecoregions Centre

Ariadna Benet abenet at wwfpacific.org.pg
Tue Dec 18 01:42:51 EST 2001

Dear all, =20
My name is Ariadna Benet and I work with the WWF PNG office in Madang. I =
am currently coordinating a water quality monitoring programme for the =
Madang Lagoon and this email is to inform you about our Madang Lagoon =
water quality monitoring project and to request your assistance if =
possible.

Background

The North Coast of Papua New Guinea is home to some of the richest coral =
reef ecosystems on earth. In particular, the Madang Lagoon  has a highly =
heterogenous reef system, which shows an unprecedented diversity of =
coral reef, and reef fishes (700 species of coral and more than 1000 =
species of reef fishes)  (add reference here) . In addition to the =
biodiversity value, Madang Lagoon provides vital resources to  the =
coastal  communities who's livelihoods are dependent on a  subsistence =
fish and marine products economy . Madang Lagoon also provides a number =
of dive sites which are of great importance to the tourism industry and =
provides additional income for Madang residents.

A serious threat to the Madang Lagoon is the potential decrease in water =
quality due to the rapid development of the Madang town and the =
surrounding  coastal areas . Madang  has an estimated population of =
30000 people  who live in the  town and  adjacent  settlements . A =
parliament survey suggests that a number of point and non-point =
pollution sources  could drastically reduce  water quality and threaten =
biodiversity and community livelihoods within the Madang Lagoon . =
Possible sources include overflows from  tuna and beef canneries =
industries, sediment and coastal erosion initiated by logging and =
intensive  coastal  agriculture untreated sewage and rubbish and =
increased shipping activities in the Madang Harbour and Lagoon. Madang =
Lagoon is a very active and changing part of PNG that requires proper =
management to prevent potential ecological disasters that would badly =
affect both the coastal population and marine life, thus biodiversity.

Project

survey and initial consultation with concerned stakeholders, WWF PNG is =
initiating a water quality monitoring project for the Madang Lagoon. =
This  project will be a major component of the Integrated Coastal Zone =
Management Plan for Madang which will include adjacent water catchment  =
and coastal areas. The water quality monitoring project is being =
developed and an extensive literature review is currently being =
undertaken. Although data is available, it is very difficult to locate =
so that it can be compiled and information gaps identified. This is =
further complicated by the unaccessibility of  library resources and the =
unreliability of the internet.

As the coordinator of this project, I would be very grateful if you =
could assist us in any of the following ways:=20

1) Data :  I f you could please send us, by e-mail or normal mail, any =
information such as papers produced by yourself or your colleagues, =
conclusions or ideas that might be useful, pictures, maps  and/or  any =
other data sources  relating to the Madang Lagoon  or surrounding areas, =
that the project could use as the bases for designing and implementing a =
monitoring programme. Parameters monitored could  include biological, =
physical, traditional point and non-point source pollution and =
socio-economic indicators.=20

2) As part of the project, a reference group would be formed, which the =
project could consult on various issues  as they came up (e.g. water =
quality monitoring, chemical analysis, baseline surveys etc.). Would you =
be interested in being a member of this reference group

The information obtained during this project would be used in the ICZM =
plan for Madang, which in turn could be a model for other areas in PNG. =
The data  will also be used in the development of a marine educational =
programme that WWF would like to establish in selective pilot schools in =
PNG.

I understand that you are probably very busy and apologise if this is an =
imposition on your  current work load, however, any information that you =
could send us would be very gratefully acknowledged and appreciated.

Thanking you in advance, looking forward to hearing from you,

best regards,

Ariadna Benet

PD: Let me take the opportunity to wish you all Merry Christmas and a =
happy New Year.

Ariadna Benet, PhD
Water Quality Monitoring Programme Coordinator
Pacific Ecoregions Centre (PERC)
Private Mail Bag
Madang, PNG

Ph: (675) 852 3720