MAA's standards

Juan Torres jltorres38 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:01:17 EST 2001

Dear coral-listers:
Merry Chrstmas to you all from Puerto Rico!
I am working on the effects of UV radiation on Acropora cervicornis and
Porites furcata. So far, I have found around 8-9 different mycosporine-like
amino acids (MAA's) in both species. Among them are:
Mycosporine-glycine, Mycosporine-2glycine, palythinol, usujirene and
palythene. Yet, I don't have any standards to prove these are really the
compounds. I wonder if any of you have some or know of a way of acquiring
them? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Juan L. Torres
University of PR, Dept. Marine Sciences
PO Box 3210