FW: epoxy

Dan Meyer dmeyer at peer.org
Tue Feb 6 11:41:27 EST 2001

Hello all --

While on the subject of epoxies, I need some help.  I am participating in a
conference later this month regarding the establishment of "corridors" to
minimize reef damage due to fiber optic cable laying.  In addition to
corridors, are there other conservation techniques the scientific community
is interested in advancing?  My first priority is to get corridors
established where the reefs are absent.  Beyond that, how can you help
alleviate the following:

(1) Damage due to the accidental release of drilling muds, such as betonite.

(2) Damage due to pinning corals between hardbottom and cable.

(3) Abrasion damage from swinging cables.

(4) Cracking of corals -- the epoxy question.

Are there other concerns?  The critical battle is to get the cables away
from the reefs entirely.  But what can I ask for short of that?  Also, does
the community see other potential damaging activities?  These four are the
generally acknowledged one.

thanks,

Dan Meyer, General Counsel
Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility
2001 S Street, N.W. - Suite 570
Washington, D.C.  20009

Tele: (202) 265.7337
Facs: (202) 265.4192
E/ml: dmeyer at peer.org

The preceding E-mail message contains information that is confidential, may
be protected by the attorney/client or other applicable privileges, and may
constitute non-public information. It is intended to be conveyed only to the
designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this
message, please notify the sender at (202) 265.7337.  Unauthorized use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.