Two questions...

Angela Dikou scip7318 at nus.edu.sg
Thu Feb 8 02:26:35 EST 2001

Hello everybody,
I would like to address two questions:

1. Imagine you have a mature coral reef community which is exposed to heavy
sedimentation, and very likely eutrophication, for more than 30 years. After
a number of  years, in the same place that you used to have live corals
there is only rubble. How long do you think that it would take for such a
change from live coral to rubble, covered by filamentous algae, to occur?
There are no major physical distrurbances in the area.

2. Is there any essay or trite on biologically vs. physically mediated coral
reef communities (or any ohter type of communities)?. The only note on the
subject  I found appears in Rogers (1990) review on sedimentation effects on
corals and coral reefs and in Tomascik et. al. (1993) case-history of change
on the Kepulauan Seribu, Java Sea. In the first reference, the note made
concerns changes in regultion of communities with increase in depth. In the
second reference, a comparison is made between GBR and the Indonesian
archipelago in relation to the relative importance/role of physical
disturbance to the evolution, structure and function of these two coral reef
systems.

Thank you very much

Angela