Wandering Quarter Plotless Sampling Method

William Allison wallison at dhivehinet.net.mv
Mon Feb 26 21:36:25 EST 2001

Hi Phil,

With respect to that family of methods there has not been much done on coral
reefs.
If I remember correctly Charles Birkeland favoured it and recommended it for
use along with the line intercept method. It is in:

UNESCO (1984). Comparing Coral Reef Survey Methods, UNESCO/UNEP.
This is not the manual you refer to (Stoddart ed., 1978).

Dodge et al. compared the method against others.
Dodge, R. E., A. Logan, et al. (1982). "Quantitative reef assessment studies
in Bermuda: a comparison of methods and preliminary results." Bull. Mar.
Sci. 32(3): 745-760.

I found that at high cover levels I got substantial overestimates (>100%
when cover plainly was less and other methods indicated ~80%). I suspect the
distance between sample points was the critical factor (samples not
independent).

Sincerely,
Bill

William (Bill) Allison