(Fwd) RE: New Monuments/Old Attitudes: finis

GJ Gast gjgast at freeler.nl
Mon Jan 22 09:57:48 EST 2001

Dear Jim and others,

1. Technical point: I haven't received Jim's message directly, but saw it in the
response below. It has happened to me before that I see a reply to a
message on the list, I hadn't seen. Do more people experience the same
problem?

2. Nature conservation is for at least 90% a political issue, while science
appears to play only a marginal role. As coral reef conservation and
protection are major issues on this list, I fail to see how we can avoid
personal political views when communicating on such issues. All the topics
Dave mentions below are very much political issues in my point of view. I
found the recent exchange very interesting as it gave me information and
insight in US environmental issues that hardly come across the Atlantic
pond through the standard media. The large number of members of this list
ascertains that different opions are contributed.

3. I find Jim's remark on complaints behind the scenes very worrying.
Obviously, I do not have the slightest desire to cause Jim problems with my
writings. But do we need to moderate our contributions to this list in order to
avoid conflicts with the sponsor? What happened to the freedom of speech,
that Americans are so rightly proud of?

Best wishes, GJ.

Dr. Gert Jan Gast
Oostelijke Handelskade 31