Egyptian SPAM from Hell

SMHoke at aol.com SMHoke at aol.com
Sun Jul 1 03:11:08 EDT 2001

Dear Fellow Coral Listers:

      I have been viciously bombarded by SPAM today.   It all originates from
a company called Starnet.com.eg   which is an Egyptian "marketing" firm
(a.k.a., "SPAM Factory").

      This is very serious.   I have received THOUSANDS (I am not
exaggerating) of unsolicited messages today.   I have been in contact with
others who have been receiving these same asinine ILLEGAL messages (many of
which contain viruses), and the one common thread seems to be that we are all
in some way shape or form involved in the environmental movement and or
research.  I'm a graduate student of marine biology, an owner and webmaster
of an
environmental web site, and a member of several environmental list servers.

      Are other members of the Coral List receiving these SPAM messages from
Starnet.com.eg?   And if so, has anyone had any luck in getting removed from
the list?  I have contacted Starnet "Support" (ha ha) by e-mail, and even
went so far as to telephone the Starnet office in Cairo Egypt to no avail
(all I get is an Egyptian answering machine message, which I cannot even
begin to understand).  I have notified my ISP as well.  Other victims of this
SPAM scam tell me they too have tried in vain to get removed from the list.
It appears to be a SPAM black hole of sorts from which there can be no
escape.  This is a nasty one folks.

      ANY HELP OR INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.  THIS IS VERY SERIOUS
AND UNBELIEVABLY ANNOYING.  I realize this does not immediately pertain to
coral research, unless of course anyone in your office or lab has to spend an
entire day hassling with this (as I have done today).

Regards,
S. Michael Hoke
hokes at nova.edu
Graduate Student: Marine Biology