marine labs in Caribbean

Erich Mueller emueller at mote.org
Tue Jul 17 15:27:05 EDT 2001

Alina,

I suppose we could consider ourselves in the "Greater Caribbean" so I have
replied to your query.

Hope to see Rob this week and get an update on his progress.

Ciao, Erich

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Erich Mueller, Ph.D., Director      Phone: (305) 745-2729
Mote Marine Laboratory              FAX:   (305) 745-2730
Center for Tropical Research        Email: emueller at mote.org
24244 Overseas Highway (US 1)
Summerland Key, FL   33042

Center Website-> http://www.mote.org/~emueller/CTRHome.phtml

Mote Marine Laboratory Website-> http://www.mote.org

Remarks are personal opinion and do not reflect institutional
policy unless so indicated.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Alina M. Szmant wrote:

> Dear All:
>

> I would like to compile a list of marine labs in the Caribbean with good
> access to coral reefs that are available for use by researchers and
> educators.  I would greatly appreciate it if those of you that manage
> such facilities could respond to this request with the information below.
>  I will compile the answers and make it available all those who might be
> interested.
>

> Many thanks for your time!
>

> Alina Szmant
>

> *********************

Name of marine lab: Mote Marine Laboratory, Center for Tropical Research

Country/city located: US / Summerland Key, FL

Airport/transportation info: Accessible by road. Closest airport is Key
West (24 miles). New York to/from Key West airfare ~$400.00

Contact info for director/manager: scientific questions: Erich Mueller,
Director; reservations, Pete Braisted, Chief Operating Officer

24244 Overseas Highway		phone: (305) 745-2729
Summerland Key, FL 33042          FAX: (305) 745-2730
email: ctr-info at mote.org

Description of facilities: see www.mote.org/~emueller/CTRHome.phtm

Fee structure for visitors, lodging, meals, lab: 2001 facility use fees
include bench fees and accommodations: $30.00/day; weekly and monthly
rates available

Number and size of groups you can accomodate: There are 29 beds total.
There are three 1-bedroom apartments each holding a maximum of four. There
is a dorm-style unit with 17 beds (this can be divided into two units only
one of which has a kitchen).

Lab equipment and space available: Dry and wet lab space available for
visitors. See Web site for basic equipment list or request complete
listing.

Running seawater facilities: Water from well system. Three outdoor
raceways (24"Wx24"Dx120"L) and three outdoor wet tables (30"Wx8"Dx96"L).
Outdoor systems under 70% shadecloth. One indoor wet table (24"Wx8"Dx96"L)
and one indoor sorting table (24"Wx2"Dx96"L).

Boat support and costs: Three vessels 18 to 26'. All vessels MUST be
operated by Mote personnel which are in addition to boat rate. Rental
boats available close by for investigator use. The 46' R/V Eugenie Clark
is available by special arrangement for offshore work.

Diving costs and availability: All divers must be AAUS
cetified by their home institution or meet the same requirements. Weights
are included in facility use fees. Use of SCUBA tanks is $5.00 per tank.

Environments:

distance to nearest  healthy reefs: "Healthy" reefs being relative....
Looe Key is 7 nm. Other reefs as close as 4 nm.

types of reefs: bank/barrier and patch reefs

distance to no-take areas and marine reserves: There are several Sanctuary
Preservation Areas accessible, the closest is ~ 4nm. There are two
accessible (6-10 nm) Research-Only areas (Looe Key and Eastern Sambo). The
Western Sambos Ecological Reserve is also accessible (~12 nm). Small boats
work from Sombrero Key (near Marathon) to the Marquesas (25 nm west of
Key West). Tortugas area accessible only by use of the R/V Eugenie Clark.

distance to seagrass and mangrove communities: 1-2 nm

Permitting procedures and limitations: Virtually all research in the
Florida Keys falls within the jurisdiction of the Florida Keys National
Marine Sanctuary and Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission. Most
research activities require a permit. Collecting of small numbers
of unrestricted species is possible with a Florida fishing license
available throughout the State. Suggest contacting agencies to confirm
what is necessary.

contact info for responsible agency:

FKNMS: Ms. Joanne Delaney; (305) 743-2437 Ext. 32

Florida FWC: Ms. Kat Etheridge; (850) 488-6058

length of time it generally takes to get permits: 4-8 weeks