Coral spawning in SE Asia (fwd)

Evan Edinger eedinger at cs.mun.ca
Thu Jun 14 14:49:47 EDT 2001

In October, 1995, three of us observed a mass spawning of corals
in the
Karimunjawa Islands, Central Java.  We observed about 25 species
of corals
releasing eggs, sperm, or (usually) both, about 2 hours after
sunset a few
days after the full moon.  Our observations were published as an
abstract
in the 8ICRS (Panama, abstracts volume, p. 57), and as a data
table in
Thomascik, et al., 1997, The ecology of Indonesian Seas,
Periplus,
Singapore, table 7.3, p. 278.)

We made further observations on coral mass spawning in October,
1996, and
tried, without success, to capture eggs.

Our settling plates deployed in July and August 1995 had
acroporid and
pocilloporid spat, but we only observed mass spawning in October.

Wisnu Widjatmoko, of the Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Science,
Diponegoro University, Semarang, Central Java, has made
histological
observations on coral spawning in the Java Sea, mainly about
Pocillopora
damicornis.

Evan Edinger

Dr. Evan Edinger
Depts. of Geography & Biology		tel. (709) 737-3233
Memorial University of Newfoundland	fax. (709) 737-3119
St. John's, Nfld.			e-mail: eedinger at cs.mun.ca
A1B 3X9	   CANADA