coral spawning

Maria Beger maria.beger at jcu.edu.au
Wed Jun 27 02:59:17 EDT 2001

the list a while ago:

My collegues and I observed coral spawning on Redang Island, off the
Malaysian Peninsula.  It occurred during full moon in September 2000.   We
were, however, unable to which species were involved by the time we were
alerted to it.

Below a comment from my collegue Doug Fenner who is currently in the field
and has asked me to post this on his behalf:

"I was told recently by a dive guide in the Philippines that some corals
spawn on the 2 nights before full moon plus the night of full moon, in the
months of April and May.  Apparently only some corals spawn at that time, so
there may be other times as well.  -Doug Fenner, AIMS, Townsville, Australia
d.fenner at aims.gov.au"

Maria Beger
Visiting Researcher
Department of  Marine Biology