Exotic coral cultured in the Caribbean

John Ware jware at erols.com
Wed Jun 27 13:42:04 EDT 2001

Dear List,

Just as an aside to David Vogel's concerns about the propagation of
corals on Dominica:  I visited the lab in Dec, 1999.  At that time I was
told that there is some sort of quid pro quo with the Dominican
government.  That's well enough.  However, the startling information was
that some Dominican government official supposedly suggested that, what
with all these corals from all over the world, one could set up various
reef types around the island.  There could be, for example, an
Australian reef and a Hawaiian reef and a Samoan reef, etc.

Naturally, the lab explained the problems associated with such a
scheme.  One wonders when someone will actually try something that
stupid and we find a real ecological disaster on our hands.  Imagine
Acanthaster in the Caribbean!!

John

     *                       John R. Ware, PhD                   *
     *                          President                        *
     *                       SeaServices, Inc.                   *
     *                    19572 Club House Road                  *
     *                Montgomery Village, MD, 20886              *
     *                        301 987-8507                       *
     *                       jware at erols.com                     *
     *                       seaservices.org                     *
     *                      fax: 301 987-8531                    *
     *     |\/__ Undersea Technology for the 21st Century \      *