White Plague in Cuba

Dr. Pedro Alcolado alcolado at unepnet.inf.cu
Wed Jun 27 15:28:12 EDT 2001

A massive infestation with white plague at least on the reefs of Havana
coast. Practically all Dichocoenia stokesii are sick and dying.
Montastraea annularis and cavernosa are also been affected. It is been
observed since the begining of May (maybe much earlier). The disease
extends from the border of the colony till covering it completely. Have
you seen that in other places? We have observed also some white band in
Acropora cervicornis. These events were observed at 10-15 m deep (we did
not dive deeper).

Pedro M. Alcolado