FW: FIJI - Bleaching Alert

Sangeeta smangubhai at wwfpacific.org.fj
Fri Mar 2 18:11:20 EST 2001

FIJI POTENTIAL BLEACHING NOTICE

I have recently been diving in Beqa Lagoon just south of the main island of
Viti Levu, Fiji.  Over the last three weeks I have observed small numbers
of corals (Pocillopora species) starting to bleach.  The bleaching (at the
moment) is not at the levels reached last year with only 10-30% of
individual colonies bleaching.  The places I regularly dive in Beqa have
little to no live Acropora left, the result of last years event.

Over the weekend I was undertaking crown-of-thorns surveys in Kadavu, in
vicinity of Ono Island.  We had severe bleaching on this part of the Great
Astrolabe Reef last year, and this has resulted in high algal cover.
 Individual colonies of Acropora on shallow reef areas are showing those
bright iridescent colours often observed before bleaching.  I also observed
3 anemones that were completely bleached and 1 partially bleached.

Talking to various dive operators, there are signs of low level bleaching
occurring in different parts of Fiji.

For those who are interested, WWF is hoping to work with staff from
University of South Pacific to undertake baseline surveys of the northern
portion of the Great Astrolable Reef in April 2001.  As part of the surveys
we will be collecting data on coral bleaching.  If the bleaching becomes
more severe, we might try and get out and do some preliminary surveys/data
collection.

I would appreciate any individuals contacting me who have been previously
involved in coral reef work in this part of the reef.  We wish to make sure
our surveys complement previous efforts, and we maximise the use of the
limited resources we have.

Sangeeta

Sangeeta Mangubhai
Regional Marine Coordinator