legal protections for coral reefs

Mary Davidson marygraydavidson at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 13:24:12 EST 2001

Hello,

I am a law student writing about coral reefs for a
seminar in cultural property law.  I would like your
input on what you believe are the most important legal
instruments providing for the protection of reefs.  I
am particularly interested in U.S.-based regimes (such
as the Marine Sanctuary program) and
multilateral provisions (such as the Convention on
Biological Diversity and UNESCO's World Heritage
Sites), but I would also like to know of any
country-specific legal instruments that you think are
particularly effective(or noneffective, for that
matter).

Thank you in advance for your response.

Mary Gray Davidson
University of Iowa College of Law