shark finning

silvia pinca silvinha at c4.com
Sun May 13 19:28:37 EDT 2001

Hello coral-listers,

I have been just informed that an agency on the Marshall
Islands where I live and work has approved an agreement
with a foreign company to allow shark fin fishing in local
waters. The news are even more frightening and
disappointing than what this sounds since the agency that
signed the agreement is in charge of the marine resources
in the Country. Evidently, in charge of depleting and
destroying them more than protecting and managing them.
Only a couple of months ago we also received information
regarding another agreement between the same agency and a
private investor for live rock collection. Fortunately for
side reasons, the collection of corals never started and
the project aborted.
I address my cry of disappointment and ask for help to the
coral reef scientists and marine conservationists to have
help, support and suggestion on how to fight this absurd
new agreement and this sure promise of depletion of the
shark communities.
I am sure that some of you had to face a similar problem
somewhere else and some of you found a solution already.
I thank you for your advice and support,

Silvia Pinca,

College of the Marshall Islands
P.O. Box  1258
Majuro, Republic of the Marshall Islands
MH 96960
Ph: 692-625-5903
e-mail: