coral proxy for surface solar radiation?

Joel Norris jnorris at catalina.ucsd.edu
Fri May 18 19:11:19 EDT 2001

Hello all,

I'm a physical scientist interested in the role of clouds in the climate
system and recently came across an article by Anne Cohen and coauthors
describing impacts of photosynthesis on calcification rate (she suggested
I contact this email list).  That got me wondering if there was any way to
infer past variations in surface solar radiation using a coral proxy.
That would be a very useful piece of information to have for understanding
past climate variability.  Is there a workable relationship between
calcification, photosynthesis, and broadband insolation, or perhaps some
other method?

Joel

--
Joel Norris 	  Assistant Professor of Climate and Atmospheric Sciences

Scripps Institution of Oceanography     email: jrnorris at ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego     phone: (858) 822-4420
9500 Gilman Drive DEPT 0224             fax: (858) 534-8561
La Jolla, CA 92093-0224                 http://meteora.ucsd.edu/~jnorris/

Delivery Address:   Scripps Institution of Oceanography
                    8810 Shellback Way
                    Room 440, Nierenberg Hall
                    La Jolla, CA 92037