divers and fish

John Williams williams at convex.hhmi.columbia.edu
Sat Nov 3 13:33:19 EST 2001

Human nature is what it is.  People need to eat and people are generally
compelled to find the best mate to pass on their genes.  Status is very
much important in both (Moral Animal, Robert Wright; Third Chimpanzee,
Jared Diamond).  The point remains economics and education.

Also, I would point out that some people are curious beyond being aware of
status (I believe snobbery is rampant in all human endeavours -
conservationism as well).  Much can be learned from these organisms,
especially with the extremely rapid pace of science.  It is very likely
that what is learnt may very well be the strongest motivation for much
more substanial conservation efforts.

Finally, I believe that this thread is getting off the more important
point.  Given that people will continue to keep reefs, how can the home
aquaria reef industry continue without significant environmental impact.
I proposed licensing people as a means education or discouragement.
I am curious as to other constructive ideas.