aquarium concerns

Jack Ward jadward at ibl.bm
Tue Nov 6 09:51:42 EST 2001

Just as a point of interest, so far this year there have been 2 cases of
Pacific Lionfish being found at Bermuda. Tropical marine fish are not
legally imported into Bermuda and it is extremely unlikely that these were
released locally. The logical conclusion is that there is a breeding
population somewhere upstream. As Bermuda supports the most isolated
tropical reef system in the Western Atlantic it appears as though the larvae
of this exotic species are widely distributed. I understand that these fish
are also being found in the wild in the Carolinas and Florida, probably
elsewhere in the Atlantic.
    Cheers,
        Jack Ward
        Bermuda Aquarium , Museum and Zoo