Turtle Book

Osha Gray Davidson osha at oshadavidson.com
Wed Oct 3 19:26:39 EDT 2001

Dear List-Members,

I was planning on writing my own message about my book, but Bill and Erich
beat me to it. Yes, it's about sea turtles and the disease that's killing
them. But it's also a way to discuss the implications of a possible
increase in marine epidemics--including those that have devastated corals
in many areas (including White Band Disease and in the Caribbean.)

The thesis of the book is that anthropogenic changes--many of them
currently under discussion in the "are reefs doomed?" thread--may be
creating a "pathogen friendly" environment that threatens biodiversity in
coastal waters. There's a lot more to it than that, of course, but that's
the central theme and the turtle tumor disease is examined in that light.

Thanks to the many list members who walked me through their areas of
expertise, so that I could connect the dots. Of course, if I connected them
improperly--that's my fault and not theirs.

Cheers,
Osha

Osha Gray Davidson          Home page: www.OshaDavidson.com
14 S. Governor St.          Phone: 319-338-4778
Iowa City, IA 52240         E-Mail: osha at oshadavidson.com
USA

"Fire in the Turtle House" http://www.publicaffairsbooks.com/books/fire.html

Book Tour: http://oshadavidson.com/TurtleTour.htm