House approves coral reef protection measure

Anita Daley adaley at coral.org
Thu Oct 18 21:38:08 EDT 2001

Hello-

I called Rep. Kirk's office yesterday and asked about the current status of
this measure.  It hasn't been introduced into the Senate yet and they are
currently seeking a sponsor.  They asked me to call back in a few weeks.

(The offices are closed for a few days--since yesterday afternoon-- due to
the Anthrax threat)

Thanks Ken,

Anita

On 10/18/01 6:24 AM, "Kassem, Ken" <ken.Kassem at wwfus.org> wrote:

>> House approves coral reef protection measure
>>
>>                       The House passed H.R. 2272, the Coral Reef and
>> Coastal Marine
>>                       Conservation Act, Tuesday night to initiate a
>> debt-for-nature swap with
>>                       developing countries to protect coral reefs. Rep.
>> Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) introduced
>>                       the bill to allow developing countries with money
>> owed to the United States
>>                       to honor the debt by starting coral reef
>> conservation programs, instead of
>>                       exploiting natural resources to pay off the debts.
>>
>> Randall D. Snodgrass
>> Director, Government Relations
>> World Wildlife Fund
>> 1250 24th Street NW
>> Washington, DC 20037
>> (202) 778-9680
>>

> ~~~~~~~
> For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
> digests, please visit www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the
> menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

Anita Daley
International Coral Reef Information Network Manager

The Coral Reef Alliance
2014 Shattuck Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 848-0110 ext. 313
(510) 848-3720 fax
http://www.coral.org

"Working together to keep coral reefs alive."