bioerosion by sea urchins

Frank KELMO F.Kelmo at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Oct 26 15:50:22 EDT 2001

Dear Colleagues,
Amongst the disastrous effects of the 1997-98 ENSO I have found the
following affirmation:
"Sea urchins eroded disturbed coral colonies at rates that exceed
carbonate production, potentially resulting in the elimination of
existing reef buildups"
My question is how sea-urchins erosion can be best assessed?
Mokady et al. 1996 (Biol Bull, 190(3):367-372), suggest
quantification of CaCO3 fecal pellets contents + total gut contents.
Any other suggestions? I would appreciate everything you can track
down.
Thanks, Frank.

F.Kelmo
Coral Reef Ecology
Benthic Ecology Research Group
613 Davy Building, University of Plymouth,
Drake Circus, Devon, PL4 8AA
United Kingdom.
Phone: +44 (0)1752 232951 (Lab) +44 (0)870 712 5852 (home)
Fax: +44 (0)1752 232970
E-mail: fkelmo at plymouth.ac.uk