Diver effects on fishes

Jim Bohnsack Jim.Bohnsack at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 30 16:26:43 EST 2001

My observations indicate divers per se are considered just another fish
unless they are spearfishing or feeding fish.  Where spearfishing occurs
fishes learn to avoid divers, especially if they carry a spear.  Where
divers frequently feed fish they tend to swarm around divers initially
(unless spearfishing also occurs).  Below are two references that deal
with the topic.

This paper compares fish behavior on a reef with intense diving activity
(and fish feeding but no spearfishing or other extractive activities) to
a reef with virtually no diving activity:

 Bohnsack, J.A.  1998.  Reef fish response to divers in two ’no-take’
marine reserves in Hawaii.  Reef Encounter 23:22-24.

The following reference shows impacts of spearfishing on fish
communities.

 Bohnsack, J.A.  1982.  Effects of piscivorous predator removal on coral
reef fish community structure.  Pages 258-267 in G.M. Cailliet and C.A.
Simenstad (eds.), Gutshop’81: Fish Food Habits Studies.  Proc. 3rd
Pacific Tech.Workshop.  Washington Sea Grant.  University of Washington,
Seattle.