Benthic Hard-Substrate Diversity

Mark Spalding Mark.Spalding at unep-wcmc.org
Sun Sep 9 08:23:30 EDT 2001

Amy and others who may find this useful:

In the new World Atlas of Coral Reefs we have two sets of figures for zooxanthellate scleractinian coral diversity by country which can be broadly termed "observed" and "expected". The former are derived from about 1000 different published sources compiled at UNEP-WCMC - species have only been included where they have actually been collected or observed in a country. The latter are based on the species range maps developed by JEN Veron in his three volume Corals of the World, with some minor modifications by the same author. These are interpolated ranges, hence may exaggerate the diversity in some countries.

Spalding, MD, Ravilious C and Green EP (2001). World Atlas of Coral Reefs. University of California Press, Berkeley, USA.
www.unep-wcmc.org/marine/coralatlas/

These same figures will be being incorporated into ReefBase in the coming months

All best

mark

Mark Spalding, PhD
Senior Marine Ecologist
UNEP-World Conservation Monitoring Centre   www.unep-wcmc.org
219 Huntingdon Road                                 Tel: +44 (0)1223 277314
Cambridge, CB3 0DL                                  Fax: +44 (0)1223 277136
UK                                    e-mail:mark.spalding at unep-wcmc.org
or
Research Associate
Cambridge Coastal Research Unit
Department of Geography
Downing St
Cambridge
UK

>>> Amy Baco <abaco at soest.hawaii.edu> 09/08/01 02:05am >>>

Aloha!  I am looking for some recent references for coral and/or other
shallow water hard substrate diversity.  I am particularly interested in
references which include a complete speices list for all taxa (not just
sessile inverts. eg.) and number of individuals of each species.  I have
done a number of literature searches, but there seem to be few papers
which include all taxa (and even fewer that include the data).  The
most recent reference I have for corals is Austin 1980.  Any help
would be greatly apprecaited!

Thanks!

-Amy

Amy Baco-Taylor
University of Hawaii
Department of Oceanography
1000 Pope Road
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822

Phone (808) 956-6050
FAX   (808) 956-9516
abaco at iniki.soest.hawaii.edu

Please do not send this message to the list itself. Thank you.
MARBIO originates at Mote Marine Laboratory, Sarasota, FL USA
http://www.mote.org