No subject

buddrw buddrw at kgs.ukans.edu
Sat Sep 15 17:10:42 EDT 2001

<riskmj at mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>, Jim Hendee <hendee at aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: RE: coral reefs doomed?
Sender: owner-coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

It's interesting, if mildly depressing, to see so many reasons for pessimism.

I generally agree with most of Mike's points, but there are two that he
raises that I think merit comment -- both related to the CO2 and
saturation state issue, and both addressing issues of temporal scale and
kinetics.

First, Mike raises the question of 'long-term' silicate buffering.  True
enough -- in the very long term, none of this is an issue, and even on the
thousands of years time scale we are dealing with ocean DIC content that
overwhelms the size of the atmospheric reservoir(and essentially all
others but the mineral).  The critical issue is that we are not dealing
with scales of this magnitude -- the anthropogenic CO2 input has been on
the scale of a century (more if you count the beginning of the industrial
revolution, less if you start from the rapid rise post-WWII).  The mixed
layer of the ocean, however, contains DIC in an amount comparable to the
atmospheric reservoir with a probably turnover time of a few centuries
(cf. many radiocarbon studies of marine apparent ages).  For the purpose
of considering presewnt problems, it is a reasonable first approximation
to treat the mixed layer (which is where all of the reef-building corals
live) as an isolated compartment, and on that scale the CO2 effect is
clearly dominant.

Second, the high-mag calcite issue -- I too am out of my office, but in
1986 June Oberdorfer and I published a chapter in Carbonate Diagensis book
edited by Purser and Schroeder that pointed out that reef interstitial
water is controlled at the saturation state of high-mag calcite.  What is
most definitely not true is that this has much effect on the saturation
state of the overlying seawater.  Here again, the issue is time scales --
in this case of advective open water exchange compared to the flushing of
interstitial porewaters (see also the paper by same authors in the ICRS 6
proceedings).  There are many orders of magnitude difference -- and in
fact the possibility of equilibrating the sedimentary carbonate with the
ocean water is on time scales equivalent to the silicate buffer controls,
and basically insignificant on the 100 year scales dominated by gas and
open water exchange reactions.

A question, Mike -- I didn't understand your point about vertical mixing
replacing high pH bottom water with low pH suface water -- did that refer
to some particular locale?  Certainly for most of the ocean saturation
state, pH etc are lower at depth than at the surface.

Bob Buddemeier

Dr. Robert W. Buddemeier
Senior Scientist, Geohydrology
Kansas Geological Survey