community-based monitoring

John Naughton john.naughton at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 5 12:27:15 EST 2002

Hi Liz:

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm curious if PCS is considering community based
monitoring in Palau for the Ngeremeduu Conservation Area off the west side
of Babeldaob Island.  As you know, this 30,000 acre MPA has been established
as partial mitigation for the huge Palau Compact Road project, for which I
represent NMFS/NOAA as a Cooperating Agency partner for all environmental
issues associated with the project.

During one of our recent bi-annual survey trips the Cooperating Agencies met
with the PCS, PICRC, etc to encourage a community-based monitoring project
for this large and very significant MPA (protecting an entire ecosystem from
the watershed, mangroves, lagoonal habitat, all the way out to and including
a large portion of the west barrier reef).  I've had considerable experience
in monitoring of large scale coral reef ecosystems, and would like to get
together with you during our next survey trip to Palau in June (to be held
in conjunction with the EPA Pacific Islands Conference).

Aloha,        John