clove oil

Roger B Griffis Roger.B.Griffis at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 12 14:49:42 EDT 2002

Clove oil is a powerful sedative on crustaceans.  Don't know anything about
its use in the field, but understand photographers use it to sedate
crustaceans for professional grade, close-up photos because it sedates
without effecting color patterns (= motionless subject in full natural color
patterns).  No idea what other effects might be, or how long the effect
lasts.

Craig Lilyestrom wrote:

> If anyone has information about the potential effect of clove oil (as
> used as an aid to collection of reef fish specimens) on corals or
> other marine organisms, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.
> If it has no negative effect, of course I'd like to know that also.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Craig
> --
> *****************************
> Craig G. Lilyestrom, Ph.D.
> Director, Marine Resources Division
> Department of Natural and Environmental Resources
> P.O. Box 9066600
> San Juan, P.R. 00906-6600
> (787) 724-8772 ext. 4042
> (787) 723-2805 (FAX)
> craig at caribe.net
> menu bar, then click on Coral-List Listserver.

  Roger B. Griffis <roger.b.griffis at noaa.gov>
  Policy Advisor
  U.S. Department of Commerce

  Roger B. Griffis
  Policy Advisor                                <roger.b.griffis at noaa.gov>
  National Oceanic and Atmospheric
  Administration
  U.S. Department of Commerce
  NOAA/NOS/ORR Rm 10116 1305 East West Highway  Pager: 877-632-5370
  Silver Spring                                 Fax: 301-713-4389
  MD                                            Work: 301-713-2989 x 115
  20910
  USA
  Additional Information:
  Last Name     Griffis