Southeast and East Asia

Clive Wilkinson cwilkins at aims.gov.au
Thu Aug 15 21:25:38 EDT 2002

Second call to coral reef workers

Do you have any coral reef status or monitoring data and information for
reefs in:

Southeast Asia (the ASEAN countries) and East Asia up to Japan

The regional coordinators for the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network
are compiling the latest information on the status of their reefs for
publishing in Status of Coral Reefs of the World: 2002 due for release in
November. There are often huge gaps in their information.

They would like to hear from you on where and when you visited their
regions and if possible get access to any data you have on the status of
the reefs and fish populations. We would particularly like to get
information on reefs before and after the massive 1998 bleaching event to
document the extent of losses and subsequent recovery.  Any data or
anecdotal accounts will be useful.

Also if you are launching major initiatives in any parts of this region,
maybe we can include a Box in the next report.

Please send these to the GCRMN Node Coordinators:

ASEAN countries "Chou Loke Ming" <dbsclm at nus.edu.sg>

East Asia Tadashi Kimura <BXQ02107 at nifty.ne.jp> or  <KEI_OSADA at env.go.jp>,

UNEP offices in Bangkok are also helping -    "Connie Chiang"
<connie at un.org>,

And remember keep data flowing to ReefBase -  Jamie Oliver
<j.oliver at cgiar.org>

Thank you

Clive Wilkinson

Clive Wilkinson, Coordinator
Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network
c/o Australian Institute of Marine Science
Tel: +61 7 4729 8452 or 4772 4314; Fax: +61 7 4729 8499

digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .