Baker/Howland bleaching event - severe??

Alan E Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Fri Aug 16 11:11:07 EDT 2002

NOTICE -- BLEACHING ALERT

Howland and Baker Islands -- 0-1N; 176W

HotSpots have occupied these location along the
Equator from this year's El Nino as it continues to
remain parked over the central equatorial Pacific
since mid-May!  Degree Heating Weeks [accumulations
of excessive thermal stress - Hotspots] are presently
in excess of 12 DHWs...nearly 15 at the slightly more
southern Baker Island!!  Since we have been collecting
HotSpots and DHWs [beginning 1998] we have never
seen much of any accumulation of thermal stress at this
location (near the International Dateline)....even the El
Nino of 1998, with its associated bleaching events
bypassed Howland and Baker .  Reports needed.

DHWs:
   http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data2/dhww.8.12.2002.gif

Two white dots (land) are Howland/Baker:
   http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/hotspotwsw.gif

AE Strong
Coral Reef Watch

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong
Team Leader, Marine Applications Science Team (MAST)
Coral Reef Watch Project Coordinator
Phys Scientist/Oceanographer
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA/ORAD -- E/RA3
  NOAA Science Center -- RM 711W
  5200 Auth Road
  Camp Springs, MD 20746-4304
        Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
             301-763-8102 x170
              FAX: 301-763-8572
  http://orbit-net.nesdis.noaa.gov/orad

  Alan E. Strong, Ph. D. <Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov>
  Oceanographer/Team Leader
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA
  Oceanic Research & Applications Division

  Alan E. Strong, Ph. D.
  Oceanographer/Team Leader                 <Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov>
  NOAA/NESDIS/ORA
  Oceanic Research & Applications Division
  NOAA Science Center 5200 Auth Road        Cellular: 443-822-3668
  Camp Springs                              Fax: 301-763-8108
  MD                                        Work: 301-763-8102 x170
  20746
  USA
  Additional Information:
  Last Name     Strong