Reef fish in the Persian Gulf

Michel Claereboudt michelc at squ.edu.om
Fri Aug 23 23:54:34 EDT 2002

On 8/21/02 6:41 PM, "Marc Kochzius" <kochzius at biotec.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> Hi Angus,
>
> here are some references:
> Carpenter KE, Krupp F, Jones DA, Zajonz U (1997) Living marine resources
of
> Kuwait, Eastern Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, and the United Arab
Emirates.
> FAO species identification field guide for fishery purposes, Rome, FAO
> Coles SL, Tarr AB (1990) Reef fish assemblages in the western Arabian
Gulf:
> a geographically isolated population in an extreme environment. Bull Mar
> Sci 47(3): 696-720
> Krupp F, Müller T, Al-Sana’a M, Al-Marri M (1994) Survey of fishes and
fish
> assemblages in Dawhat ad-Dafi, Dawhat al-Musallamiya and the Gulf Coral
> Islands. In:  Feltkamp E, Krupp F (eds) Establishment of a marine habitat
> and wildlife sanctuary for the Gulf region. Final report for phase II.
> Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg, Frankfurt, p 537-558
> Krupp F, Almarri, MA (1996) Fishes and fish assemblages of the Jubail
> marine wildlife sanctuary. In:  Krupp R, Abuzinada AH, Nader IA (eds) A
> marine wildlife sanctuary for the Arabian Gulf. Environmental research and
> conservation following the 1991 Gulf war oil spill. NCWCD, Riyadh and
> Senckenberg Research Institute, Frankfurt, p 339-350
>
> Best fishes
> Marc
>

> At 09:37 12.08.2002 +1000, you wrote:
>> Dear Listers
>>
>> I'm looking to undertake fish visual census surveys in the Persian Gulf
>> and am having difficulty obtaining a comprehensive list of reef
associated
>> species. I've tried FishBase however there are some obvious omissions to
>> the searches it allows. Anyone know of a good source?
>>
>> Cheers
>
>> <> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
> Marc Kochzius
> Department of Biotechnology and Molecular Genetics
> Centre for Environmental Research and Technology (UFT)
> University of Bremen
> Leobener Strasse
> 28359 Bremen
> Germany
>
> Phone: +49 (0) 421-218-7225 (office)
>       +49 (0) 421-218-7679 (Lab)
> Fax:   +49 (0) 421-218-7578
>
> Biotechnology: www.uft.uni-bremen.de/biotech/english/bmg_main.html
> Coral Reef Webpage: www.oceanium.de
> <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
>

> ~~~~~~~
> For directions on subscribing and unsubscribing to coral-list or the
> digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .

John Randall's Book: Coastal fishes of Oman (Crawford house publishing) 1995
probably covers most of the reef fishes of the Arabian Gulf.

There is also a small booklet by Carpenter et al. And published by the
Kuwait institute of Scienctific Research (KISR). Corals and coral reef
fishes of Kuwait.

Cheers,

--
Michel Claereboudt