Advice on bleaching

M.G. Visram shak at africaonline.co.ke
Mon Feb 11 11:03:26 EST 2002

Dear all,

I am a PhD student on fieldwork in Kenya where my research interest is
studying 'recovery' from coral bleaching.

I am seeking advice on how to artificially induce (in aquaria) bleaching in
any one of the following species - Porites cylindrica (branching Porites),
Acropora humilis , Pocillopora verrucosae and Pocillopora damicornis.

My bleaching tank is set up as follows - the tank is outdoors (exposed to
sunlight) and the seawater turns over once every 24 hours, the temperature
averages around 32.5 degrees C, which is about 1 degree above maximum summer
average temperature.

If anyone has worked with any of the above species, or has some helpful
suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it,

thanks,

S. Visram