Coral mortality in Kenya affecting Astreopora, Montipora and Echinopora.

Laurie Richardson richardl at fiu.edu
Wed Feb 27 10:13:51 EST 2002

What you describe sounds like the coral surfaces have become anaerobic.  The
"white dust" is probably a population of sulfide-oxidizing bacteria (look at
a sample under the microscope - if you see filaments full of bright granules
- stored elemental sulfur - then you are seeing the sulfide-oxidizing
bacterium Beggiatoa, which looks to the eye like white granules.  As to the
cause of death - it is unclear, just by visual observations, whether
something killed the coral and then an anaerobic bacterial population
developed, or if some imbalance occurred and massive oxygen consumption by
rapidly growing bacteria resulted in development of anaerobic
microenvironments which selected for sulfate-reducers which then produced
sulfide which then enriched for sulfide-oxidizers, etc.  The black layer is
probably precipited ironsulfide oxides.  Good luck!

--
Laurie L. Richardson
Associate Professor

phone:  305/348-1988