a good anthropogenic indicator needed

Brad Rosov brosov at tnc.org
Fri Jan 25 15:17:57 EST 2002

Dear Coral Listers...
    The reef tract along the Florida Keys, as you all know, have been
degrading for years.  The Florida Keys Nature Conservancy has participated
in a near-shore water quality sampling program for years throughout the
keys.  These efforts have helped determine the amount of nutrients in the
near-shore water, among other things.  In an attempt to determine immediate
human-induced impact on the near-shore water quality, I am just beginning to
investigate an appropriate method for assessing this.  Caffeine is one such
indicator, but without very much investigation, I understand this is a
rather expensive method.  I would appreciate any advice on a cost effective
method to monitor anthropogenic impact on water quality.
       Brad Rosov
       Marine Conservation Program Manager
       The Florida Keys Nature Conservancy