CanAmerica'sGroupersBeSaved?

Alexander Stone reefkeeper at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 10 12:32:42 EDT 2002

*        R E E F  D I S P A T C H        *
*               July, 2002               *
* _____________________________________  *
*          ARE WE GOING TO LET           *
*          AMERICA'S  GROUPERS           *
*        BE DRIVEN TO EXTINCTION?        *

A Periodic Inside Look at a Coral Reef Issue from
Alexander Stone, ReefGuardian International Director

Dear Friend of Reef Fish:

America's groupers are in deep trouble.  And I'm writing to ask you to
help pull them out by signing on to ReefGuardian International's Save
Our Groupers petition at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html

Practically all grouper species for which usable data is available are
officially recognized to be in BIG trouble.  Three federal regional
fishery management councils are responsible for 15 grouper species in
the Gulf of Mexico, South Atlantic, and U.S. Caribbean.  Of those 15
managed species, TEN have been designated "vulnerable to extinction" by
the American Fisheries Society. And red grouper may not be considered
vulnerable to extinction (yet) but it IS classified in one or more
regions as overfished. In fact, ONLY 4 of the 15 managed grouper species
(misty grouper, yellowfin grouper, red hind and rock hind) are not known
to be in serious decline in one region or another -- and that may be
simply because enough data is not available yet!

Is it any wonder then that Goliath grouper and Nassau grouper stocks
show no signs of recovery after years of supposed "rebuilding"?  That
Gulf of Mexico male gag groupers are down to 1% of the population? Or
that grouper catches continue to plummet dramatically in the U.S.
Caribbean?

Bottom line, the future looks REALLY BLEAK for America's groupers --
unless something is done soon.  And that's where you and I come in by
signing on to ReefGuardian International's Save Our Groupers petition
at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html

The numbers of groupers being taken has got to be reduced -- so
ReefGuardian has formally asked for at least 10% to 20% reductions in
the Total Allowable Catch of these key reef fish.  Groupers have to be
given a chance to reproduce, or else their populations are never going
to recover -- so ReefGuardian has formally asked for 2-month spawning
season closures and site-specific spawning aggregation protection for
each grouper species.  And the most seriously depleted stocks need to be
left alone to recover -- so ReefGuardian has formally asked for
continuation of existing no-take protections for goliath groupers,
Nassau groupers, and Gulf male gag groupers.

Our formal requests are now before the Regional Fishery Management
Councils for the Gulf of Mexico, South Atlantic, and U.S. Caribbean. And
ReefGuardian Conservation Associates are working hard to convince
Council members to approve our requests. But those decision-makers also
need to hear from you.

If you believe, as we do, that there can be NO EXCUSE for driving
America's groupers to extinction, let federal regulators know by signing
on to ReefGuardian International's Save Our Groupers petition at
http://www.reefguardian.org/Campaigns/SaveOurReefFishGRP/PetitionGRP.html

We'll submit your petition to all 3 Councils and keep the pressure on to
save America's groupers.  But please sign on to the petition now --
while we still have a chance to turn things around.

Thanks for caring,

Alexander Stone
Executive Director
ReefGuardian International