FW: Mauritius: Paradise Lost?

Tania van Schalkwyk tvs at uskonet.com
Wed Mar 6 08:57:41 EST 2002

Contactez tvs at uskonet.com <mailto:tvs at uskonet.com>  pour la version
francaise de cette petition.

« You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first and then heaven. And
that heaven was copied after Mauritius. »
-Mark Twain, 'Following the Equator', 1897.

Mauritius: Paradise Lost?
Petition to Save L'ile aux Benitiers.

Mauritius, once a tropical rainforest paradise, is fast sinking like
Atlantis, under the weight of its concrete jungle.  The latest assault
on
our country comes in the form of plans to develop L'ile aux Benitiers on
the
southwest coast of Mauritius. The proposed project by Food & Allied
Industries Limited (FAIL) would have devastating repercussions on the
environmental & sociocultural ecosystems of our island.

After having received, as gifts  from the state, the most beautiful
beaches
of the Mauritian coast, leaving a bare minimum of public beaches to the
Mauritian public, the 'developers' now want to appropriate themselves of
our
islets.

Even while  environmental reports conducted on behalf of the Mauritian
government  categorically insist on the  conservation of islets, and to
"restore biodiversity of islets" ( National Environmental Action Plan,
1998
, p.175 "Coastal Zone Management Programme")-
Even while the government engages itself to adhere to and apply
international conventions on the protection of terrestrial & marine
biodiversity-
This same government, on the other hand; seems to continue to try and
dispose of these islets like sale items at a fleamarket; when their rich
biodiversity has not even been properly studied or taken into
consideration.

L'ile aux Benitiers  is unique. It is totally absurd to transform this
islet's natural environment into a  hotel/residential/camping/etc.
project.
Such an idea is even counter-productive to the economic welfare of the
region: including the fishing & tourist industries.

It is blatantly obvious that there will be serious, negative
repercussions
to the site's fragile ecosystem of  marine & terrestrial life, to which
l'ile aux Benitiers is crucial .  Two examples of the many disastruous &
irreversible damages that will be incurred due to an infrastructural
development of the islet, are :
-       The increase in boat traffic  & access  necessitates  sand
extraction  which leads to a long-lasting  degradation of the quality of
water and marine life.
-       Development of and construction on the terrestrial environment
necessitates deforestation which leads to soil erosion.

And what of the negative sociocultural impacts such development will
have on
the quiet & peaceful villages of the region( notably La Gaulette) ; an
integral part of our Mauritian culture ?
-       Noise & Light pollution.
-       An increase in prostitution and delinquency.
-       Savage development.
-       The loss of village traditions.

        Will La Gaulette, Mauritius have to suffer the same fate as Grand
Bay or Flic en Flac? Costa del Sol (Spain) or Durban beachfront (South
Africa)?
NO!
WE WILL NOT ACCEPT  THE DISFIGUREMENT OF
L'ILE AUX BENITIERS.
-       We therefore categorically oppose ANY DEVELOPMENT, including
hotel/residential/golf course/restaurant/recreational/commercial
projects,
occurring on  L'ile aux Benitiers An islet so important to us all:
-       La Gaulette villagers, Mauritian citizens, foreign tourists, the
plant, animal and sea life of Mauritius, the tropical ecosystem of the
Indian Ocean and therefore the planet and all its inhabitants.
We launch an international appeal for the protection, conservation and
restoration of the terrestrial and marine biodiversity of L'ile aux
Benitiers.

We urge the Mauritian government to review its position and procedures
towards the classification of our country's islets.

We request L'ile aux Benitiers to be reclassified as a nature reserve.

We urgently request the relevant authorities to implement  an
environmental
education & information programme in the region, so that all persons
using
our islets, beaches and lagoon can do so in a well-informed manner,
therefore ensuring responsability towards the social and environmental
protection of our coastal heritage.

        For the Future of Our Children. For the Future of Our Planet.  March
2002

Only after the Last Tree has been cut down,Only after the Last River has
been poisoned,
Only after the Last Fish has been Caught, Only then will you find that
Money
Cannot be Eaten.
-Cree Indian Prophecy

Please follow these instructions in order to sign the petition:

*       Forward this mail to as many people as possible.
*       Click on the forward icon of your toolbar.
*       Add the addresses of your contacts in your mail's 'send to' bar.
*       Scroll down the forwarded message & add your number, name, email
(optional) & country to the list (at the very bottom of the mail).
*       If you are number 30 or higher on the list:
                                - please forward the email & list of names
to the following address:   tvs at uskonet.com <mailto:tvs at uskonet.com>
-                                     - and start a new email & list with
your name at the top (number 1), then forwarding this new mail to  your
contacts.
Thank you!

Collectif pour la Préservation de l'Île aux Bénitiers :
Komite des Forc Vivs de La Gaulette, Ecosud, Solidarite Anti-Pollution
de
l'Ouest,  et al.
Email : tvs at uskonet.com <mailto:tvs at uskonet.com>
For more information & other ways to help .

        (1) Tania van Schalkwyk tvs at uskonet.com <mailto:tvs at uskonet.com> ,
Mauritius.
digests, please visit http://www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the