Reef exploitation indicators for SE Asian reefs

Tim Daw tim_daw at yahoo.com
Fri May 3 05:38:04 EDT 2002

Dear List Members

I am currently looking for evidence of overexploitation and reef degradation
from data collected by volunteers over 2.5 years on the coral reefs in
northern Sabah, Borneo.

It appears that the reefs are very heavily over-exploited and to illustrate
this am looking for comparative data from reefs the region on the following
variables:
- Size/frequency distributions and/or densities of commercially valuable
fish measured by UVC. Particulary for Plectropomus spp, Cheilinus undulatus,
Cromileptes altivelis as well as generally for Balistids, Lutjanids,
Lethrinids, Haemulids, Scarids and Groupers.
- Densities of Diadema, Tridacnid clams and edible Holothurians.

I'd be particularly interested in data from protected or well-managed sites
and highly overfished sites to compare our data with that from best and
worst case scenarios.

So far, I've found some good fish density data from Indonesia and the
Philippines in papers by Pet-Soede et al and Russ and Acala.

With thanks for any assistance,

Cheers,

Tim Daw

Former Chief Scientist
Greenforce Pulau Banggi Project for Coral Reef Biodiversity

I am currently analysing data collected by volunteers over 2.5 years on the
coral reefs of Banggi, northern Sabah, Borneo. We are looking for
indications of reef health and fishing impacts (general overfishing as well
as cyanide and blast fishing). I would be really grateful to hear from
anyone who might have or be able to direct me towards comparable data as I
hope to put the current status of Banggi's reefs and the measurements we
have obtained into context by comparison with other (some well-managed if
possible) reefs in the region. I'm particularly interested in:

- Size/frequency distribution of commercially valuable fish measured by UVC.
Particulary for Plectropomus spp, Cheilinus undulatus, Cromileptes altivelis
as well as generally for Balistids, Lutjanids, Lethrinids, Haemulids,
Scarids and Groupers.
- Densities of Diadema and Tridacnid clams
- Any studies that have used UVC to estimate biomass of commercial fish.

I'd also like to hear if there are any suggestions of other indicators of
overfishing and reef health that we could look at from the results of our
belt transects for fish and invertebrates and line point transects for
substrate and coral growth form. The commonest general indicators for coral
condition appear to be

Please reply directly to me at this address.

Tim Daw

digests, please visit http://www.coral.noaa.gov, click on Popular on the